Aloha, from Hana!









So much has been happening over here and I’ve been having a bit of difficulty trying to figure out what to post the last few days.  I feel like I finally experienced a bit of a breakthrough yesterday, after spending a lot of my time since arriving here just trying to keep up with the difference in lifestyle.  It’s felt a bit like hurrying up so that I can finally slow down, if that makes any sense? 

The drive here to Laulima Farm (on the south side of the island, just past Hana) from the Kahului Airport took over two hours and provided stunning cliffside views of the ocean, along with the spanning countryside and Haleakalā Volcano National Park rising just to the north of the road – truly breathtaking.  For those familiar with Maui, I should note that we took the south route on the Road to Hana, after stopping in Paia to pick up another student who got into town before the rest of us.  

Our days start at 7am with showers, coffee and our own personal morning routines that incorporate Ayurvedic practices (think: oil pulling and tongue scraping).  Mine also now involves silent walking meditation, which I’ve come to love because I’ve found it’s helping me process everything from the day before; I can’t wait to bring this practice back to Colorado with me to incorporate while hiking in the mountains.  Then we go right into guided meditation at 8am and then yoga at 9am (sometimes we practice as much as 3 hours a day).  We have a quick break for smoothies and tea around 11am, then go back to class for Asana breakdowns (how to teach proper flow and anatomical setup for classes).  Lunch and study time happens from about 1-3pm, then a complimentary class is taught in the late afternoon, and ceremonial circles typically occur in the evening after dinner, and before bed. 

My teachers here are big on making sure that every element (spiritual, physical, mental clarity for the educational component, etc) is touched on and worked through in every class and in all our flows; it feels very well balanced.  We’ve also had the honor of holding space for a Land Blessing and Aloha Aina… were gifted a concert by Al Tore and Diane Patterson (please check them out – they are beautiful musicians)… sat in Kirtan for Bhakti yoga (SO cool)… and we were gifted a Sound Healing that was orchestrated by one of the locals in our little community here.  Additionally, we’re learning, discovering and experiencing all the basics of yoga, like the Yamas, Niyamas, Pranayamas, Sutras, Conscious Breathwork, along with the complimentary topics and sister subjects like mixed Martial Arts, Tai Chi, Saunas, medicinal herbalism, Hawaiian culture and we're reading ALL the books. 

The permaculture farm that I’m staying on is completely off-grid, and all our food is grown here, or shared from one of the neighbors.  I swear each meal is better than the last…  The amazing community fully embraces the Aloha way of life and invites everyone who stays here and visits to do the same.  Everything, from food to chores, is shared and everyone is filled with sooooo much love for each other.  The hugs that I’ve shared with my new friends here have been absolutely out of this world.

I should be able to write more easily moving forward, now that I’ve become accustomed to my schedule and feel comfortable in my new surroundings.  We also have excursions scheduled for Friday’s and a free day on Saturdays.  I know there will be many trips to the beach, and I’m hoping to work a few hikes in and to go on a whale watching tour before I leave (it’s their breeding season).

There’s so much I want to share, and I will… as I receive the proper clarity needed to fully explain and communicate everything that I’m experiencing.

I miss all of you, and I wish you were here to alongside me…  Maybe you can join me on my next trip.

Mahalo, my loves. {

Comments

Popular Posts